There was a sinking moment upon finishing my newest sculpture when I realized that the title and name plates just weren't working for the piece. The central image had gone through many changes, enough where the original title, "All Horizons Lost, Flesh Forever Found", didn't reflect the work any longer. The alliteration in the title always bothered me too. But my main issue with the plates were the rough clunky appearance of the castings. I had so much trouble this year with my investment molds cracking in the kiln and the bronze flashing out. I had tried my best to salvage the plates, but in the end the quality just wasn't there. Maybe over a dozen hours of work lost. After some pacing of the studio, I decided to take the time and effort to remake them. The piece was given the new title "Beneath the Remnant Veil" and new waxes were designed, again using the hearts on either side of the title plate.
The University of Wisconsin Foundry doesn't do ceramic investment, a far superior technique that would solve all of my casting issues. I've been thinking about working with someone to ceramic invest my waxes for a while now, and thought this a small enough of a project to be a test of sorts. I had the great pleasure of working with Jeff Adams and his InBronze Foundry in Illinois and will be working with him for all of my investment castings in the future. The bronzes came out beautifully, superior detail and surfaces than I was able to do.